Monday, April 20, 2009

Song Gluttony

My friends and I have always been "protective" about the music we listen to. We don't like sharing playlists to non-friends (as we call other acquaintances) and especially to the unlikeable people. I know this is quite snobbish and arrogant of us, as if we have the best taste in music - and I am not even going near that one because I know there are tons of other people who can claim they have better taste in music than I have. It's just that, sometimes, don't you ever feel like you like something so much that the outside mediocre world will only under appreciate and exploit the greatness of that beloved thing? That's just what I always feel. Which is why I resolved to share only with friends and close family whom I know will love the stuff the way they should be loved.

I am so "protective" to my beloved bands that I hardly post their names, songs, or mp3s in my Multiply and Facebook accounts unless I can set them to private where only my kindred spirited friends can view.

This may sound unfair and ironic to the bands - that I love them too much I care who else are listening to them - but I really think that they will benefit from it, too. See, I'm an Indie lover, and I really think that the bands and artists I follow and love would prefer an appreciative (if not intelligent, 'cos that's just too picky right now) audience and fanbase rather than the mainstream crowd - and isn't that the reason why they are not on the mainstream anyways?

Okay, they may also claim that they want to educate the vast crowd to what real music is all about - and I am not saying that I am an expert myself - but I don't think I can participate on that level yet. I cannot just go around and make other people appreciate my Indies. God knows I am starting with my sister who prefers the Pussycat Dolls over Imogen Heap or Feist, and I think I can only tolerate her because she is my beloved little sister, but another blow like that, I might not make it.

So maybe this is why I'm starting another topic in this blog of mine - featured artists due to my inability to contain my love for certain bands and artists (and since this blog is obscure as ass that I hope the people who will end up clicking here are really looking for the artists I will be talking about).

So yes. There it goes. I will now decide upon which artist I'll be talking about in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment